If you’ve given in to the Google machine, it can handle your emails, calendars, contacts, cloud storage, and so much more. If you keep your contacts in Gmail up to date, you can easily sync with your phone or tablet contacts. But how do you add or delete contacts in Gmail?
How to Add New Gmail Contacts
- Go to contacts.google.com. This can also be reached from Gmail by clicking the dropdown menu directly under the Google logo that says Gmail, and selecting Contacts.
- Click the plus button in the bottom right corner of the page.
- Enter the name and relevant contact information you have and click Save.
How to Add New Gmail Contacts From a Message
If you’ve received a message from someone who you would like to add to your contact list, you can do the following:
- Open the email message and click the arrow button next to the reply button.
- Click Add Contact Name to Contact list. (Where Contact Name is the name of the person who sent you the email.)
How to Import Multiple Contacts to Gmail
If you’re switching from another mail platform to Gmail, you’ll probably want to import your contacts in one go. Google offers step-by-step instructions if you want to import contacts from Yahoo Mail, Outlook.com, AOL, and other email providers.
You can also import contact lists from a CSV list, but you will be redirected to the older version of Google contacts to complete this step. After you’ve exported your contact list in CSV format from your current email platform, you can import the list into Gmail by doing the following:
- Go to contacts.google.com.
- In the left sidebar click More to reveal additional menu items.
- Click Import > CSV or vCard file.
- In the pop-up window indicating that this preview version of Google Contacts doesn’t support imports, click Go to the old Google Contacts.
- A new window will open with the legacy version of Google Contacts and you will need to again click Import contacts in the sidebar.
- In the popup window that appears, click Choose file and navigate to where your CSV file is saved.
- Click Import.
Once the import is complete, go back to the newer version of Google Contacts and refresh it to view your newly imported contacts.
How to Delete Contacts in Gmail
- Go to contacts.google.com.
- If you search for the contact’s name using the search function, their contact card will open up. You can also scroll to the person’s name in the list. In either case, click the menu (three dots) button and click More actions.
- Click Delete.
Alternatively, if you want to hang on to their contact information but don’t want them to appear in your contact list, click Hide from contacts. Their contact information will still be searchable in Google contacts, but won’t be listed on your computer or on your phone.
The Gmail mobile app does not make it possible to add or remove contacts from your account.
Do you depend on Google to manage your contacts? If not, what’s your preferred way to keep track of your many contacts? Let us know in the comments.